Trying to dress for the First Trimester can be a bit tricky as it comes with its own unique set of problems - from trying to keep your secret until you have passed the safe 12 weeks mark to trying to camouflage your bump that isn't quite a bump but more like a pasta belly!
Here are a few tips I picked up from my first pregnancy:
- Stay away from "maternity wear" until you really have to. The choice is very disappointing and if worn too early the clothes can end up just looking big and baggy! The only actual maternity pieces I have bought so far are my 2 pairs of AG Jeans which I absolutely love!
- Go through your wardrobe and see what pieces will work for your new shape. I was surprised with how many tops I already had that worked. As I'm a bit of a COS addict, their style is pretty bump-friendly.
- Stay away from tight or lycra tops for the first trimester, your bump is at that funny transitional stage where you may not want to highlight it so much.
- Don't invest in key pieces that aren't wearable after the pregnancy as chances are you will never want to look at them again!
- Don't be tricked into buying the belly-band extensions for your jeans, they are uncomfortable, dont work and are a waist of money!
- Buy a nice pair of flats. The choice is endless now especially the fact that runners are considered a key trend for this season.
- Buy one or two sweater or shirt style dresses that will help camouflage your bump - try Asos Topshop and COS - they have endless styles to choose from. I bought two in COS. Both are warm, comfortable and versatile so I have been living in them these last few weeks. I did however get the length altered as I wear them with flats - sometimes I think COS design for women that are 6ft!