I was so excited to be invited Devachan hair salon in Soho, New York which specialises in cutting and styling curly hair. They invented the "curly girl method" and have created there own line of award winning styling products. My sister in law introduced me to Deva Curl products over 2 years ago and I have been using them ever since.
Here's what I learned:
1) They cut each curl individually when the hair is dry.
2) They never use shampoo (they compare it to fabric detergent!). They created their own Deva Curl No Poo, which is a sulphate and silicone free cleanser and doesn't lather.
3) We should only shampoo (as in No Poo) the hair once a week but condition with each wash.
4) Adding moisture to the hair is the primary key to creating curls
5) Use cold water for the final rinse, this locks in the moisture and closes the cuticle
6) Use your fingers to detangle your hair after conditioning as bushing it breaks the curl pattern.
7) All the styling products go into the hair soaking wet
8) Lift the hair away from the scalp when adding styling products to help create volume
9) After all the styling products are in, use clips at the roots to create volume
10) Use paper towels to create the curl mound and remove any excess water (always avoid using towels as it takes the moisture out of your hair)
11) When diffusing your hair turn your head upside down and avoid touching it as this breaks the mould created by the styling products
12) Once the hair is completely dry ensure all the product is out by scrunching it out with your own fingers.
I really enjoyed my visit to the Devachan salon. I absolutely loved how they cut my hair and I think it will help create volume and allow me to consider having it longer in the future. In regard to styling I prefer how I do it myself but I've had years of experience dealing with my unpredictable and temperamental Curls!
All and all it was such a positive experience and I look forward to visiting again in the future.
List and links to the Deva Curl Products I use:
- Deva Curl No Poo shampoo
- Deva Curl One Condition
- Deva Curl Light Defining Gel
- Deva Curl B'leave In
- Deva Curl Frizz-Free Volumizing Foam
- Deva Curl Mist-Er-Right Curl Refresher
- Deva curl Heaven In Hair
MORE PICS ON INSTA STORIES